Re:Sand is Sand is Sand is Sand

From: aquilla2@juno.com
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 23:03:41 PST

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:03:41 -0800
From: aquilla2@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Sand is Sand is Sand is Sand

I guess that the main property of silica sand is that, it is the main
ingredient of glass, Glass will not react with any chemicals. Sand,
defined as crushed rock may contain limestone as well as silicates. The
way that I test to see if my sand is acceptable, is to drop a few drops
of muriatic acid (HCL) on the sand and look for a fizzing, bubbling, or
some type of chemical reaction. If no reaction is observed then the sand
(whatever it's ilk) should be acceptable.
        I have personally carted buckets of east coast (U.S.) coastal plane
sand, shoveled from the middle of the road (off road areas) to mix with
peat for some of my plantings. On another note I have used Pine Bark
Nuggets
(mulch) as a soil amender, buffer and top dressing, for many of my CP
pottings.

Michael A Sankovich