seeds and cp societies

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Mar 03 1999 - 07:03:17 PST

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:03:17 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: seeds and cp societies

> Last of all, I wish to put out a WANT LIST for CPs. In return, I
>am willing to offer rare seeds of S.American CPs, including stuff
>collected on Mt.Neblina and southern Venezuela. Please contact me
>privately ONLY if you can get me one of the following below. The plants
>are for research only, I do not cultivate CPs any more. A second list
>WANT LIST may be out soon.

Hi Fernando,

I read your wish list praying that I had something that you wanted. Didn't
happen. This leads to the following request. Please consider donating
collected seed to some of the cp seed banks so that we can cultivate some of
these exotic (to me) cp's. Since I'm a visual learner, I'm having much fun
trying different Drosera just to learn Drosera taxonomy.

And to the managers of cp seed banks, I'd like to request that if Fernando
donates seed that you mark those seeds as coming from him. I have D.
kaieteurensis in cultivation but am uncertain that the seeds were labeled
correctly. I know that would not be the case with seeds coming from
Fernando. I have a specific request to ICPS officers that this policy be
instituted in the ICPS seed bank. A year or so ago, I received S. purpurea
NC mountain form from the ICPS seed bank. When I asked the seed bank
manager who donated the seed so I could confirm that the seeds were S.
purpurea venosa v. montane, the manager could not do so because a record of
who donated the seed was not available. This is a perfect example of why
such records should be maintained.

Hoping you'll say yes.

David
Atlanta