CPN 28:1

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 09:25:46 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:25:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CPN 28:1

Greetings all!

I am happy to announce that the March issue of Carnivorous Plant
Newsletter has been shipped. I got my copy in the mail yesterday.

This is a nice issue. If you haven't sent your membership dues to the ICPS
yet (or sent them in too close to the deadline for inclusion with the
March mailing), you will have to get your issue as a back order! But even
so, better late than never! Renew your tardy membership! (Membership forms
are available at www.carnivorousplants.org)

Highlights from the issue:

1)An article on David Moore, Sarracenia hybridizer. (Nelson)

2)A detailed article on Triphyophyllum peltatum. I am not being
hyperbolic when I note this article is a historic "first," as it
describes and illustrates *in color* this elusive carnivore for the
first time. (Bringmann, Schlauer, et al.)

3)A new species, N. angasanensis, is described. A nice new species!
(Salmon & Maulder)

4)The ways turions survive frigid winters is discussed. It is
fascinating how some turions sink to the bottom of lakes, then magically
rise to the surface in the spring. Utricularia bremii and U. minor have
a special trick to help them survive (Adamec, illustrations by Salvia).

5)A plant found in the wild may be N. mollis. Is it the genuine article?
(Salmon)

6)CPN 25 years ago: stories of Drosera x nagamotoi

7)Lit Reviews: Pinguicula orchidioides and Venus Flytrap papers.

8)News and Views: Conservation of plants in California, North Carolina,
and Oregon is all described in an oddly thematic News and Views, and David
Gray tells us about the meeting in 2000.

9)Cephalotus is described as it occurs in the wild. (Gibson)

plus much much more!!!!!

The Front Cover is of Triphyophyllum, and the Back Cover is a real show
stopper of Cephalotus, by Ron Parsons.

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter