Re: black vft`s

From: Marc I. Burack (mb.cfg@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Mar 12 1999 - 05:22:30 PST

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:22:30 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <mb.cfg@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: black vft`s

At 08:12 PM 3/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>hello people, i`m having trouble with my vft`s going black from the trap
>inwards and then dying.
>this started to happen after division, but on undivided clusters too.
>i do not force feed them and the water is good.
>i have tried a systemic fungicide to no great success.
>
>can u guys offer any suggestions?
>
>thanks heaps, steve. :-)

I regularly see this kind of question about Dionea (VFT) plants. Are
people aware that the normal progression of "VFT"'s are that traps
regularly blacken, die off, and new leaves are formed? This is the cycle
of the plant......???? (In other words, healthy VFT plants, make leaves and
traps.....they last for a while (weeks, months, etc...), then the trap
turns black, the leaf dies, and the plant produces new leaves...

I tend to see similar questions with Nepenthes....Q- My Nep. plant made a
pitcher, and now it is dying....whats wrong?.....The answer...nothing is
wrong, plant leaves, carnivorous or otherwise are not eternal...."cp traps"
all die sooner or later and the plant goes on to create new ones....

You can blame nature on this one.

Marc I. Burack
marcb@companionfinancial.com