Genlisea seed germination

From: Mike Vogl (mvogl@webaccess.net)
Date: Sat Mar 13 1999 - 14:06:55 PST

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:06:55 -0700
From: Mike Vogl <mvogl@webaccess.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Genlisea seed germination

Hello again-

I have a wonderful plant of G. hispidula that recently sent up a huge
(more than a foot tall, compared to the plant which is only an inch
across) flower spike with three lovely little flowers on it. They all
quickly fell off and the ovaries are rapidly swelling with seed.

Now, how should I deal with this? Will the plant produce viable seed at
all? If so, would it help if I removed the upermost pods and left only
one in which the plant had to invest energy? And finally, how should I
harvest and sow the seed?

Thanks in advance for any help-

-Jonathan Mitchell