Re: Sarracenia flava complex

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 09:57:34 PST

Date:          Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:57:34
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Sarracenia flava complex

Dear Phil,

> > Lastly does the cultural variety that Adrian Slack described
> > as S. flava
> >cv 'Maxima' in his Insect Eating Plants & How to Grow them, really
> >exist? That is a clone that shows the blue gey tint at the pitcher &
> >phyllode bases & the stately pitchers? It certainly sounded great at
> >the time of reading!
>

> Very definitely! Its a pretty common plants here in the UK though
> with trade restrictions to other parts of the world is likely to
> remain difficult to get there. Unfortunately the plant cannot be
> propagated by seed since it is a cultivar and anyway, AFAIK does not
> breed true from seed.

_S. flava var. maxima_ is a botanical taxon. It was described first
after cultivated specimens (by Masters in 1881; not by Slack, whose
version of the name is simply an orthographical mistake, unfortunately
not a rare one) but it is *not* a cultivar. It does occur in the wild
(N & S Carolina, less frequent in Florida). After Don Schnell's
clarification of the _S. flava_ varieties (CPN 27:116- 120, 1998), I
regard it as an accepted taxon in the cp database (not updated on the
web yet!). It is distinguished by its green pitchers with no red
venation or red coloration of throat (the bases of pitchers and
cladophylls do have some red pigment, however).

The plant with the mentioned blue-grey tint at the pitcher base may be
described as a new cultivar, but it should in any event *NOT* be
called "Maxima" (cultivar epithets should *not* be Latin, a Latin
epithet can *only* be taken for a cultivar if it is coextensive with
a previously described taxon bearing this Latin epithet, which is
obviously *not* the case in our example: green-pitchered plants
without blue-green tint at the base would belong to _var.maxima_ but
not to the cultivar).

Kind regards
Jan