Nepenthes maxima

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 05:19:44 PST

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:19:44 -0500
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes maxima

Two quick questions about Nepenthes maxima:

  First, In _The Savage Garden_, Peter D'Amato says that N. maxima has a
"tooth" that protrudes from the front of the lid. Is this a variable
characteristic or perhaps restricted to upper pitchers? I have a plant
labeled Nepenthes maxima that originally came from Cal State Fullerton,
and at least on its lower pitchers, it lacks this extension. The photos
of N. maxima in the CP-database also lack the "tooth," but assuming I am
looking at the right part, N. eymae seems to possess it. The N. maxima
photos are lowers, while the N. eymae is an upper.

Second, I was recently given a cutting of "Nepenthes curtisii" from
Atlanta Botanic Garden. Am I correct in thinking N. curtisii a synonym
of N. maxima? Is there any reason why A.B.G. might have retained the
"N. curtisii" label?

cheers,
       Nick
(rainy and cool in Durham, N.C. The first buds are visible on the
outdoor Sarracenias)

Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@duke.edu
http://www.duke.edu/~nplummer/