Re: N. curtisii

From: Walter Greenwood (walter@radserv.arad.upmc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 13:19:28 PST

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:19:28 -0500
From: "Walter Greenwood" <walter@radserv.arad.upmc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. curtisii

Dearest Nick, Richard, Jan, and all,

Always, always, always defering to Dr. Schlauer in matters of taxonomy
:-) , I must state, however, that I know for sure that the plant
labeled "N. curtisii" I grew in the seventies and eighties was
definitely a hybrid involving N. albomarginata. Mislabeled,
undoubtedly, but it was an attractive and interesting plant. I believe
my specimen came to me from Longwood Gardens, as venerable a taxonomial
hell-hole as any of our major U.S. botanic gardens, and probably the
source of more than a few of Atlanta's early acquisitions. The story I
always heard was that it was collected from the wild, but Jan's argument
is well taken. Nick, are the upper pitchers of your plant narrowly
conical and a very pale shade of green? And do they sport the
albo-margin? And, Jan, for that matter, does the original description
of _N. curtisii_ sensu Mast. include the tomentose band? Just
curious.

Peace,

 - Walter G.
U. of Pittsburgh