Re: N. curtisii revisited

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 19:52:25 PST

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:52:25 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. curtisii revisited

---------

> I do know for sure. It is definitely a synonym of _N. maxima_
> (Masters' drawing accompanying the original description is remarkably
> unequivocal). Only the provenience of the (original, not necessarily
> the ABG) plant is somewhat dubious. Masters wrote that the plant was
> from Borneo. But such plants have never been observed in Borneo
> before or after. It is generally assumed thet the locality is an
> error on the label.

Jan. Trent here about the N. curtisii. Thanks for the much valued info! Can
you validate the origin as Sulawesi? I had heard that a number of Nepenthes
were collected there at the same time as the expedition to Borneo, and that
it was confused in the shuffle getting the plants to England. Do we continue
to call it N. curtisii?

Thanks again,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida