compact fluorescent tubes

From: Jon T. Lindstrom (tranell@comp.uark.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 20 1999 - 09:56:55 PST

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 11:56:55 -0600
From: "Jon T. Lindstrom" <tranell@comp.uark.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: compact fluorescent tubes

>At 06:32 PM 3/17/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>Hey All!
>>
>>Got a couple of questions for you (Thank you Captain Obvious!) Anyway,
>>have any of you tried to grow your plants under compact fluorescents
>>instead of standard fluorescent bulbs? Any feedback will be greatly
>>appreciated.

My varied collection of plants is housed in an Orchidarium
(http://www.orchidarium.com/) which uses 39-watt fluorescent biaxial high
output
tubes. I have three of the fixtures illuminating my case. At the risk of
sounding like an advertisement for the case, my plants have never done
better. Sufficient light is provided by the fixtures for the successful
growth of Nepenthes, Heliamphora and Sarracenia. The Nepenthes in the case
is an unknown Guebler hybrid. The pitchers are 6 inches long and deep
red in color.

Jon