Re: Re: VFTs: Red Dragon vs. Akai Ryu

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 08:44:00 PST

Date:    Sat, 27 Mar 99 11:44 EST
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: VFTs: Red Dragon vs. Akai Ryu

Dear Jens and list,

> I do have some other red VFT's that I have been growing for 2-3 years now:
> Akai Ryu, Royal Red (=Red burgundy ?), Vulcanic Red, Red Sunset
> But to be honest they look quite similar to me :-)
> Does anybody know some tricks to tell them apart in case I mix up the labels

   The way I understand it, if you cannot detect a difference from
a cultivar, then the plant is included in the cultivar. I used to
think only one seed could give rise to one cultivar (being genetically
the same), but now it seems that it is based on having a particular
identifiable (sp?) and consistant trait. Therefore all all-red VFT's
are cv. 'Red Dragon' since there is no practical way to tell they
are not. I have numerous plants of Royal Red, but to my knowledge,
this name is not a cultivar so all the plants going by this unoffical
cultivar should now be known as 'Red Dragon'. I can't really tell
them apart, but I have to say that largest VFT I have seen was a
Royal Red... (this doesn't mean that you get huge plants if you buy
Royal Red plants instead of "Red Dragon" since it was only one of
hundreds of the same clone that got to this size, so it's the
conditions not the plant.

Fairly well Confused by it all,
Dave Evans