Akai Ryu vs Royal red

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 20:20:04 PST

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:20:04 EST
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Akai Ryu vs Royal red

Hi list !
I do have some other red VFT's that I have been growing for 2-3 years now:
Akai Ryu, Royal Red (=Red burgundy ?), Vulcanic Red, Red Sunset
But to be honest they look quite similar to me :-)
Does anybody know some tricks to tell them apart in case I mix up the labels
? ;-)
Kind regards
Jens

  Jens,

  I have both and did not label mine(a mistake I never make anymore). I put
them in the same tank under the same lights and they looked identical after a
while.
  At the last meeting of the Rocky Mountain CP Society, we had a guest
speaker from Australia(Andrew Thompson, I believe), who knew a lot about the
work done on creating the "Royal Red" VFT. He said(anyone else at that
meeting, please correct me if I am mistaken) that the middle trigger hair
inside the Royal Red was smaller than the other two on each side. All the
trigger hairs inside the Akai Ryu(Red Dragon) were the same length. I went
home and looked at mine, and found this to be seemingly true. The one I
believed was Royal Red(by where I had thought I had placed that plant in the
tank) has a smaller middle trigger hair on each side. Can anyone else look at
theirs and confirm this?

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska