Re: N. x Mixta

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 06:10:56 PST

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 07:10:56 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. x Mixta

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:05:49 -0800 CMDodd@aol.com writes:
>If one were to cross N. x mixta and N. x mixta v. superba is it more
>likely the offspring would all be similar to the
>parents (which look alike), or would they show characters ranging from
>N. northiana through to N. maxima with everything in between?
>Geneticists?

Not a geneticist here but I believe the vast majority of the offspring
should look pretty much like the hybrid parents. If you were to plot the
appearance of the offspring with the x axis ranging from N. northiana to
N. maxima and the y axis being the number of seedlings with that
appearance it would be approximately a normal distribution centered on an
intermediate appearance and the very tips of the tails at the original
species.

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/