RE: red VFT's all look alike

From: Brewer Charles E PHDN (brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 06:48:53 PST

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:48:53 -0500
From: Brewer Charles E PHDN <brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: red VFT's all look alike

Hi Folks,
 Regarding the difference between Red VFTs, I grow 6 different clones of
them ( Royal Red, Red Dragon, Clayton's Red Sunset, Clayton's Volcanic Red,
Green Dragon and Big Red). All plants are grown under identical conditions:
soil type, water source, sun exposure, pot size and winter dormancy. I can
truly say there are some subtle differences in each. Mostly the difference
lies in their colors. The Royal Red and Green Dragon display more green then
the Red Dragon does, but by far the Red Dragon is more of an aggressive
grower then the other Red VFTs. Clayton's Red Sunset and Volcanic Red are
nice plants, but look similar to the Royal Red, but displays less green then
the Royal Red. Big Red has an entirely different look then all the other red
VFTs do. The color is similar to the Red Dragon except not as dark. It's
petioles are long and slender measuring up to 12 inches across from trap to
trap. This information is based on adult size plants, not juvenile. All Red
VFTs seem to go through different stages of color when growing from
seedlings to adult plants. My 2 cents worth.
Charles Brewer
Va. Beach, Va.