Re: Red Marks on Nepenthes leaves

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 05:52:26 PST

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 06:52:26 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Red Marks on Nepenthes leaves

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 20:20:26 -0800 "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
writes:
>Cold damage will show as red discoloration, but not as blotches. Water
>drops on leaves will cause burns if conditions are very bright and hot.
>However, red blotches are a trait of N. rafflesiana when they are grown
in
>bright "hard" conditions, and this trait is passed on in hybrids.

I would echo this sentiment. My N. x wrigleyana (which has the same
parentage as N. x coccinea) gets a reddish color in leaves closest to and
facing the light. Where a shadow is cast, the leaf will be bright green.
 In this case I think the red coloration is how the leaf responds to any
insult - be it fungus, cold, or bright light.

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/