re: Venus Fly Trap Update

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 01:55:27 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 04:55:27 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Venus Fly Trap Update

Ed wrote-

  Last fall I received a shabby looking
one as a gift and it was poorly cared for, the department store was not
to educated on cp care or techniques (putting things mildly :) Well I
stuck it in the fridge and allowed it to get very very very cold, removed
it and treated it as dormant, yesterday I noticed that there is new
growth, and there is a flower stalk on it.

Great news! I occasionally will "rescue" one or two from those department
store displays. Its too bad that the suppliers don't put basic cultural
protocols on the labels before shipping them. Maybe it just isn't cost
effective for them or room enough for a good overview of what this genus
requires. I have never encountered one that mentions anything about
dormancy! Last summer I visited a local greenhouse out in the country that
had a reputation for cultivating exotic species. In the back, tucked away in
the corner in deep shade, was a pallet of half-dead VFTs. Oh well...at least
a small victory done on your part for CP-dom.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio