Sarracenia Flowers

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 08:51:08 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:51:08 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia Flowers

Paul C. wrote-

Today I was walking around outside and as I looked down into the moderately
sized bog I so proudly built last year I noticed that all of my plants were
coming out of their first winter dormancy and some were even producing
flower stalks. Now, though I have searched through the world wide web and
all the CP books I have, I have not seen any definitive information
regarding what to do with them (the flowers...). I have various types of
Sarr.'s which are now producing multiple flower stalks and I am not sure if
I should cut them off as soon as possible to let them conserve their energy,
or if I should just let them keep growing just for the heck of it.

Hmmm. That's a subjective question. I would vote for snipping the flower
stalks if this is their first season after transplant. You are right about
the energy bit. Any flowering CP puts quite a bit of its muscle into setting
blooms. Snipping the flower stalks THIS season will probably allow your
Sarracenias to concentrate on pitchers. The real treat will come NEXT year.
Most of my species and hybrids show their true coloration and vigorous
growth one year after transplanting, though the first season still produces
a winning show.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio ( S. purp var burkii's pushing spikes)
markp@en.com