San Francisco water and CP?

From: David J. Collier, MD (dcollier@mail.med.upenn.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 10 1999 - 16:48:06 PDT

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 16:48:06 -0700
From: "David J. Collier, MD" <dcollier@mail.med.upenn.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: San Francisco water and CP?

I recently received a self-congratulatory pamphlet from the San Francisco
Public Utilities Commission all about how wonderful our drinking water
supply is. Actually, SF water IS known for being very hiqh quality as
most of it (82% according to the pamphlet) comes direct from snowmelt in
Yosemite.

The pamphlet contains a detailed analysis of the SF water. It lists
"hardness (as CaCO3)" at an average of 40 ppm, "alkalinity (as CaCO3)"
at an average of 39 ppm (these look suspiciously like they are measuring
the same thing), and pH at a worrisome 9.2 (as well as umpteen other
measurements that don't seem relevant).

Do you other SF (also Peninsula and southern East Bay) dwellers use tap water
on your CP? If so, what has been your experience?

I've only recently started growing CP. I've grown D. capensis on SF tap
water and they're doing fine after a year or so, but then I understand
these are unkillable. I've recently acquired some VFTs, cephalotus, and
nepenthes. Will the SF water kill these?

David Collier
dcollier@mail.med.upenn.edu