Re: Seeds and Stems #412

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 12:01:02 PDT

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:01:02 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seeds and Stems #412

Greetings folks, Peter here at California Carnivores:
     I'm pleased to announce that The Savage Garden has been given a second
award. The Garden Writers Association of America has give the book its Quill
and Trowel Award for Writing. There were 364 books in competion for this
acknowledgement. The GWAA has 15,000 members in the media, which also
includes films and television. It's very exciting that a carnivorous plant
book is receiving this sort of attention, and it will hopefully bring this
hobby the recognition it deserves. As mentioned earlier, the book was awarded
The American Horticultural Society's Book Award for 1999.
     Jan (and anyone else who has access to a good botanical library), I have
something for you to research. I was given a garbled message that a possible
new genus of pitcher plant has been discovered in the tepuis of South
America. This is being reported in the Harvard Papers in Botany, Volume 3,
Issue 2, pages 199 to 214, but I'm not sure if this was published in 1998 or
1999. The plant is called Saccifolium bandeirae, and reportedly is
reminiscent of Cephalotus. A University botanist passed this information to
one of our employees, and I'm not sure if the above information is entirely
accurate.
     It has been bitter cold out here in northern California, but it promises
to finally warm up! Temperatures have been more like January for months now,
and everything outdoors has been in suspended animation. Since September of
1997, only July through September of last year have been "nice" and normal.
     Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks! Peter