Re: drosera questions

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 08:35:51 PDT

Date:          Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:35:51
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: drosera questions

Dear Christer,

> I have some D. spathulata agg, and I wonder if anyone knows what "agg"
> stand for?

Aggregate. A complex of closely related and possibly distinct taxa.
A single individual can obviously not *be* an aggregate, it can at the
most *belong to* an aggregate.

In the case of the widespread, weedy, and fairy polymorphic species
_D. spatulata_, no reasonable efforts to resolve the complex into
segregate taxa (apart from the creation of later synonyms) have been
made yet (the only segregate, formally described subspecies that was
even regarded a separate species by some colleagues has been
identified as the hybrid with _D. rotundifolia_). However, some other
colleagues have of course not failed to produce a considerable number
of bogus names instead.

Kind regards
Jan