Re: Opportunity of a Lifetime?

From: Bob Hanrahan (k4zd@flash.net)
Date: Tue Apr 20 1999 - 17:35:51 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 20:35:51 -0400
From: "Bob Hanrahan" <k4zd@flash.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Opportunity of a Lifetime?

 Hello Group!

Jay Lechtman was in Atlanta recently for a business trip and took the
opportunity
to stop by for a short visit. He was gathering info for a future CPN
article and probed
me for data about my bog in LA (Lower Alabama). He asked about the
unauthorized
removal of plants (poaching) that occurred last year and if I had found out
who was
responsible. I mentioned that I had clues, but nothing definitive. I then
offered my
plants for building a house on the property and having a caretaker
(a.k.a.-renters)
stay there for continual security. Since the property is only 40 acres, a
strategically
placed and visible house should stifle any future poaching attempts.

I then suggested that ideally, I would like to have a "CP person in the
house. This individual would then be given the opportunity to work with
me in developing and transforming my nursery operation from a purely
limited
wholesale operation with native species into more. While we may not attain
the
results of the old "World Insectivorous Plants, or WIP, we would have fun
setting
up G/H's for more exotic genera. Basically, I would supply the materials
and the
field manager would supply the sweat. Believe me, in LA, you sweat plenty
during
the summer months.

Anyway, the question that Jay and I debated is; "Would there be anyone
(single, married, and/or with one child) who would find it intriguing to
live on a natural bog in the country ten miles from the nearest town and
25 miles from a major city-Pensacola, FL? This would not be a paid
position, but one you would have to develop or find employment nearby.
Of course, rent expense would be highly subsidized. The property is
virtually loaded with all S.E. U.S.A. species and hybrids. I have been
augmenting the natural plant populations for 15 years with my production
plants and there are at least a few hundred thousand Sarracenia and too
many plants of other genera to count.

Again, nothing concrete has been established. I am sending this out
just to satisfy our informal curiosity and see if anyone returns a reply.
Jay and I have each estimated the results. One of us will be correct.

Good Growing!

Bob Hanrahan-Powder Springs, GA