terrarium question/_N. bicalcurata_

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@softdisk.com)
Date: Sat Apr 24 1999 - 19:37:18 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 21:37:18 -0500
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@softdisk.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: terrarium question/_N. bicalcurata_

Hey Listmembers!

I'm preparing to purchase a larger terrarium. I plan on buying a 40
gallon "breeder" aquarium. Here's my question: the tank is 3 feet long
and 16" high. I plan on putting in a thin layer of sand to cover the
bottom. With the tank being 16" high, do y'all think that 4 three foot
bulbs would be sufficient, or should I go with more? I also plan on
putting a little 5 gallon aquarium in it so I could grow some aquatic
_Utricularia_. (I plan on using the water saucer method of growing my
other plants) Would the 4 bulbs light the Utrics well enough? Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently growing VFT's,
sundews, and N. bicalcurata. Would a setup like that be fine for some
Mexican Pings, and Heliamphora? What about Sarracenia (young plants of
course)?

Also, being new to growing Nepenthes, could I grow highland species in
the same terrarium with my lowland species? I've read and read and
re-read "The Savage Garden" and I don't see why I couldn't. Any
suggestions here?

Also, I bought a _N. bicalcurata_ from Steven Stewart. The plant he
sent me was in wonderful condition upon arrival! It is growing like a
weed! It has produced 4 new leaves in the few weeks that I've had it,
and it is pitchering like crazy (i.e. each new leaf it has produced has
a pitcher on the end of it)! I would not hesitate to buy from him
again! I am extremely pleased with the plant.

Anyway, that's all from the peanut gallery. Good growing!

TTYL,
Will
wgorum@softdisk.com