Re: U. Calycifida ... epiphyte or terrestrial

From: Jay Lechtman (JayL@nexus-sap.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 14:35:14 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:35:14 -0400
From: "Jay Lechtman" <JayL@nexus-sap.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. Calycifida ... epiphyte or terrestrial

I grow all of my Utrics, terrestrial or epiphytic, in milled and/or
long-fiber sphagnum moss. The key difference I've noticed in my
cultivation versus others who have posted is water level.

My Utric pots sit in aerated water to within an inch of their tops
in most cases. None are sitting in less than half of their pot
depth. I have noticed in all cases that growth is fast and
vigorous. (My U. calycifida is flowering at the moment, in fact).
In my experience past, much drier cultivation experiments, even U.
sandersoni was shy to flower for me.

Now, U. alpina, sandersoni, dichotoma, longifolia, nana,
prehensilis, calycifida and tricolor flower fairly regularly.)

For me at least, a higher water level has made all the difference in
the world.

One word of caution in this however. Make the transition a gradual
one. I have lost a few plants from friends when I suddenly dunked
them into high water levels.

Jay Lechtman (jay.lechtman@ingenix.com) Ashburn, Virginia, USA