Utricularia&Water

From: NEIL ARMSTRONG (n.armstrong@virgin.net)
Date: Sat May 01 1999 - 08:38:12 PDT

Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 16:38:12 +0100
From: "NEIL ARMSTRONG" <n.armstrong@virgin.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Utricularia&Water

I was interested in the current debate about water levels for Utrics. I
have always grown terrestrial Utrics (U. Livida & U. Sandersonii) in a high
water level, but I have had a U. Reniformis (Epiphitic) flooded for about 3
years, with very little success, until this year, when I reduced the water
so that I now only give the pot enough water to absorb, so it no longer sits
in water. Now it is flowering!
I have also taken some of the plant from the bottom of the pot (from out of
the holes in the bottom), and repotted it in a hanging basket in live
sphagnum moss, with the same watering regime as above, wth brilliant
results! It is now growing like wildfire.
I used to believe you could flood any Utric, terrestrial or epiphitic and it
would grow happily, I now know different.
Cheers, Neil.
Spring at last! Northumberland, England.