Re: Nepenthes cultivation

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat May 01 1999 - 20:22:02 PDT

Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 23:22:02 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes cultivation

------
Cliff,

Enjoyed reading your "notes" on Nep cultivation. I've only been growing
Nepenthes for about seven years, so I find your long term experience
illuminating, especially the Florida growing techniques. My potting mix is
very similar to yours, and I've arrived at it through trial and error. I got
away from sphagnum for a couple of years, but have come back around to
including it in the mix. They just simply grow better if sphagnum makes up
part of the media, at least under my conditions (about a five hour drive on
I-95 south of Daytona). I have found that water should pour quickly through
the pot, and media that hold water for a long time is not beneficial, and in
fact promotes root problems. Frequent pouring of water through the medium
works best for me, flushing out the mix, and then allowing the mix to dry
out slightly before watering again.

> As a heads up Atlanta Botanic Gardens (ABG) is in process of starting a
> highland house to be finished by 2002, I think. They will be using somewhat
> different technology for cooling and they will have a premiere display when
> completed.

I'd be interested in knowing more about this. What cooling technology could
give the needed temp drop at night? I have plans on the drawing board for a
dual component refrigeration system, like a meat locker, but I am currently
trying to find a cheaper solution.

Look forward to your next installment.

until later,

Trent Meeks