---Drosera Problem (Please help)---

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 19:25:49 PDT

Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 19:25:49 PDT
From: "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ---Drosera Problem (Please help)---

PLEASE READ AND RESPOND!

I took a closer look at the "black stipules" I'd noticed on a few of my
Drosera and determined that the stipules themselves are not turning
black - theres a brown liquid coating parts of the stipules and leaf
buds / undersides of leaves at the growth point. This brown liquid came
off in part when using a cotton swab but I would like to 1) know what it
is and 2) erradicate it from my collection. Here's the previous message
I sent to the list, any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to
Perry or anyone else who doesn't like seeing duplicate messages but in
this and nearly every other situation where I've needed an answer to a
question I thought was important, reposts always (eventually) did the
trick :)

I recently noticed the tips (and sometimes more) of the stipules at the
center of some of my Drosera have turned black. This also sometimes
happens to the hairs on the bottom of some species leaves. While it
doesnt seem to be effecting growth, I would very much like to know what
is causing this. I am 99.9% sure that my plants are insect pest free
(as I grew them all from well-cleaned leaf cuttings and primarily seed)
but I am wondering if this black stuff could be due to some kind of mold
/ fungus or even possibly a mineral build-up. Could this be the sooty
mold or botrytis I've heard a little about? A friend who I got some of
my original leaf cuttings from has noticed this in his plants as well.

These plants are growing in mixes containing perlite but watered with
distilled water only and are in a terrarium with less than 1 cm of water
on the bottom at all times (sometimes allowed to dry out). Algae growth
is present and, over time, the smell of the terrarium has changed, moist
likely due to this algae and the partial breakdown of the potting
medium. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, please email me
privately. I'm very eager to figure out a solution to this problem.
Thanks in advance, I hope not to have to ask this question again :)

Matt
NYC