Re: Sarracenia flava questions

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 14:48:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 03 May 99 17:48 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia flava questions

Dear Nathan,

> I am wanting some advice on what Sarracenia flava variety has the beautiful
> golden pitchers all season long? I suspect that it would be the S.flava
> var rugelli.
>
> Another question that I have, is in regards to Donald Schnell's article in
> CPN, Vol. 27, # 4, 1998. This naming (& renaming) the seven noteworthy S.
> flava varieties is well overdue, but have these become official as of yet?

   Well, from what I get of your question, I guess what you are
looking for are S. flava ver. maxima. That's the one which has
no red veining on in the leaves. As for them lasting all, if
you mean spring as the season, yes all flava will have pitchers
through the spring and early summer. If you mean the growing
season, then you are out of luck since flava almost always stops
making pitchers by the end of the summer.

   Yes, those names became *valid* the minute they were published.
Now we, the growers can/should *accept* and use as well as promote
the use of valid names. In this way, the names become *official.*

Dave Evans