RE: How much sun is too much sun for my VFT?

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri May 07 1999 - 05:11:39 PDT

Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 08:11:39 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: How much sun is too much sun for my VFT?

>I sat my Venus' flytrap in direct sun for about two
>hours. One of the leaves is burnt now and one of the
>traps is turning black from burns! So should I not put
>my plant in direct sun? And how often should I put it
>in the sun, to avoid burns?

Hi Amy,

I dare say we've all experienced this at some time. When moving plants from
indoors or other areas where they do not get direct sun to areas where they
will get direct sun, you'll need to introduce them to direct sun gradually.
First, put them outdoors in a shaded or partially shaded area where they get
either no direct sun or very early morning sun. Over the next few weeks,
gradually move them to areas where they get more and more direct sun, saving
the last move for afternoon direct sun, the hottest. I still have to learn
this lesson from time to time. Your VFT will probably survive this and put
out leaves that will love direct sun.

David