A question for Boston, MA growers.

From: Howie Shen (epoxy2600@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 11:40:18 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 11:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Howie Shen <epoxy2600@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: A question for Boston, MA growers.

Maybe some of you who have lived in the Boston area for a long time can
finally help put my curiosity to rest. When I was a kid back in the
early 80's I recall going to visit Harvard Square for some shopping
with my folks one day and coming across a florist that had a
surprisingly diverse number of CPs for sale. They had a sidewalk
display with a large S.purpurea, and inside the store near the back was
a table (under growlights?) with several sundew species, and perhaps
even Byblis or Drosophyllum. On a shelf were several small Nepenthes
in little plastic domed pots.
At the time this abundance of plants was so amazing to me, for all I
had access to up til then were the sickly VFTs and pitcher plants from
other local nurseries. Being a kid, I had no money of my own, and
unfortunately could not convince my parents to spend $20 on a
Nepenthes. After all, I had enough trouble keeping my $3.50 flytraps
alive!

To this day I have always wondered what happened to that florist.
Later as a teen I would often go to Harvard Square with my friends to
hang out, but alas the store was never to be found again.

Does anyone know the story behind that florist and its owner? My
thought was they must have been avid CP growers to devote that kind of
retail space for these plants in an otherwise very urban and cut-flower
oriented downtown atmosphere.

A fond memory, and I would love to hear if any of you recall that place
as well.

-Howie