RE: Humidity for CPs

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 06:01:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 09:01:52 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Humidity for CPs

>I am starting to get the idea that not all of you keep your CPs in
>enclosed in containers or terrariums. Can some of these plants be
>kept indoors or out without cover?

Yep, although there are some exceptions. Drosera adalae, prolifera, and
shizandra do much better in a terrarium where humidity can be maintained at
high levels. I grow many drosera under fluorescent lights. Sarracenia can
be grown under lights as seedling but generally do better outdoors,
especially the tall-growing varieties, because they need higher light
levels. You might try S. purpurea and S. psittacina under lights because
their leaves are prostrate. Nepenthes will grow outside but I find that in
order to get them to form pitchers, I must grow them in a terrarium where
the humidity is higher. I grow Pinguicula, Drosophyllum, Cephalotus, and
Heliamphora under lights. The cephs are enclosed in plastic to raise the
humidity. No problem with mold so far but I plan to eventually put them in
a terrarium.

David