Red Darlingtonia

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 17:04:58 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Red Darlingtonia

>> At one site we found Darlingtonia that were overall so red that they
>> looked like they were old bronze statues. Even the sepals of the plants

> Nope, but I would love it to come into the seedbanks like the
> antho-free form! I just can't wait for my antho-free seedlings to
> grow so I can see the real adult plant.
> Do you have any pictures of this redder form?

Hey Andrew,

I took a number of photos of this dark brown-red plant, but they are
still at the lab. I hope some come even close to capturing its beauty.
If any turn out, I'll put them on the web.

I'll head back later this season to see what the plant looks like (I put
flagging on it.) The colors may just be environmental, for all we know.
I *may* pursue getting a collection permit for a specimen of this plant,
but that would not be until next spring.

Cheers

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter