A few questions

From: Richard Harrison (rbharrison@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 07:31:58 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 07:31:58 PDT
From: "Richard Harrison" <rbharrison@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: A few questions

Hello everyone,

I'm completely new to CPs and to the list. I bought a Venus Flytrap about
eight weeks ago and became fascinated. I have since acquired another Venus
Flytrap, a s.purperea sp.purpurea and a d.capensis.
I have been doing a lot of reading about CPs but still have a few questions.
When my VFT began growing a flower stem I cut it off after it grew to about
3 inches. However, the plant has now started to grow another stem, which I
didn't know could happen. Would it be best to let this plant flower, as it
seems so desperate to do so?

Also, I got hold of some s.minor seeds and preceded to plant them on a mix
of peat and sand. After a couple of weeks the soil began to go mouldy. I
could wipe the mould off but it was soon back. Eventually I picked out some
of the seeds and put them in the same pot as my s.purpurea and they are now
beginning to sprout. Why is it that the moss peat of the plants I bought
from a garden centre does not go mouldy? The consistency of the garden
centre peat seems much less sandy than my own mix.

Finally I was wondering why my two VFTs are so different. One is in a very
small pot and has about twenty small traps- none are larger than about half
an inch. The other is in a larger 4 inch pot and has only five traps that
are much larger. Why is this?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards, Rich

P.S. I live in Leeds, UK. Are there any events or gatherings of a
carnivorous nature in the North of England or are they all down South?