Re: scale

From: Toby Marsden (toby@northhereford.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 14:11:57 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 22:11:57 +0100
From: "Toby Marsden" <toby@northhereford.freeserve.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: scale

Hi folks,

Perhaps this thread is dead now, but I usually work 3 or 4 digests behind...

>i need some advice on extirpating scales. they have attacked my sarracenia
>purpurea and s. minor, and i can't seem to get rid of them. any ideas
would
>be greatly appreciated.

How much do you have? If only a small amount, pick it off with tweezers.

Otherwise, one effective way (though I have not tried it on Sarracenia) is
to sponge the leaves with dilute methylated spirits (1:3 perhaps), leave for
30 to 60 seconds _only_ before washing off thoroughly with water. DON'T
BREATHE THE FUMES!! The meths may burn the leaves slightly, and certainly so
if left for longer. It does work though. The scale can then be rubbed off
with a cloth. I don't know how sensitive Sarracenia leaves are to meths...
anyone prepared to comment?

Get out there with those tweezers!
Kindest Regards,

Toby