RE: fluffy stuff

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 05:00:03 PDT

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 08:00:03 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: fluffy stuff

>spittle bug that covers itself with
>fluff (not a mealy bug but the white stuff looks similar) and sits under
the
>fluff eating the plant leaves? At first I thought it was a wooly aphid but

>when I rubbed the fluffy stuff a bug jumped away from the leaf at least a
>foot.

Hi Angie Nichols, SC

Loved your description of spittle bugs. It's a common sight on low-growing
plants in coastal SC. We were told as kids that they were left by water
moccasins, which meant I never investigated them close up. Snakes are about
the only thing that frighten me these days, ...... well that and driving in
Atlanta.

David