Re: mosquito control (was algae and rainwater)

From: Michael Hunt (mph101@surfree.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 05:38:39 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:38:39 -0400
From: "Michael Hunt" <mph101@surfree.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: mosquito control (was algae and rainwater)

What I use to control mosquito larva inside bromeliads is a drop of mild
dish washing soap per plant. This works and doesn't harm the plants
(bromeliads). I also use dish washing soap as a wetting agent on the sand
before planting ornamentals, it works here too.
Its my understanding that a mosquito will lay eggs in area that sometimes
floods. The eggs are protected until the area is flooded and then they
hatch. So the area doesn't have to be underwater to have dormant eggs ready
to hatch.
Before I was informed about the above I couldn't go out into the yard
without bug spray on. Well, now 50% of the time I can be out for 10 minutes
or so :-)
~Mike