Re: Sundew questions

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 09:48:17 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:48:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sundew questions

Hi Amy,

> Hi everyone! I have a few questions.
> First of all, just like D. Capensis is the "Cape
> Sundew", what are the common names for D. Aliciae, D.
> Adelae, D. Slackii, and D. Intermedia?

        D.aliciae=Alice sundew
        D.adelae=lance leaf sundew
        D.slackii=none (Slack's sundew?)
        D.intermedia=none

        However, I would highly suggest using the scientific names when
discussing your plants. This is because scientific names are accepted and
known by growers all around the world, or if they don't know what plant it
is, they can easily look it up in the cp database by scientific name. For
example, if you were talking to someone about your flytrap, you could mean
Dionaea muscipula, but they could be thinking Drosera rotundifolia,
depending on what they commonly call a flytrap.

> Also, I read in a book that some sundews in Africa
> grow with leaves up to 2 feet long. If this is even
> true, can anyone tell me where I can see a picture of
> one, or do people even sell these??

        You're probably thinking of Drosera regia, the King sundew.
There's pictures of it in several cp books. People do sell it, but not as
regularly as other sundews.

> Amy
> http://www.homestead.com/flytraps

Regards,