Re: N.northiana

From: shafer@sammy.Colorado.EDU
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 18:00:44 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:00:44 -0600
From: shafer@sammy.Colorado.EDU
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  N.northiana

Hi Tony,

My experience with N. northiana suggests that it will grow well in a
mix of charcoal and peat, in the approximate ratio 2:1. However,
more critical than this, I believe are the species' environmental conditions.
My plants do best with moderate light (supplied by 4 4 foot long fluorescent
tubes), and temps between 70 and 85 F. Temps significantly higher or lower
than this seem to retard growth, or it may simply be that this plant
likes a very restricted temperature range.

In any case, under these conditions, I have been relatively successful with
this plant. Beware, however, of root disturbances, to which this species
seems highly sensitive. I recommend using large pots even for small specimens,
thereby enabling one to avoid repotting the plants for as long as possible.
I also feed mine small insects, which I believe has greatly accelerated their
growth.

Best wishes,
Jeff Shafer

P.S. I really enjoyed your book!