GORDON CHEERS II PROPOSED Nepenthes lowii COVER FOR SALE

From: RICHARD DAVION (davion@camtech.net.au)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 07:15:30 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 23:45:30 +0930
From: "RICHARD DAVION" <davion@camtech.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: GORDON CHEERS II PROPOSED Nepenthes lowii COVER FOR SALE

Dear All

While rummaging through my Cedar-Box last night I came across the
A3 sized glossy photograph "Mock-Up" of the originally proposed
Gallee Proof cover of the Gordon Cheers II book. This photograph
features two recumbent Nepenthes lowii pitchers against a natural
Kinabalu setting and was given to me by Gordon himself as part
appreciation for my 10% contribution to the photographic work
within the book.

If framed this would make a lovely talking point and collectors
item if not investment in say 20 years time.

I have scanned it and stitched it into a 200 smeg thumbnail if
anyone is interested in previewing the image before considering
making an offer for it.

As a goodwill gesture I wonder if any of you out their in virtual
land can contact David Bond (who only recently return from a year's
sabbatical in the US and might not yet be back on the net.) of the
VCPS since he is an avid CP Memorabilia collector (his collection
is well worth a look if you're ever travelling through that way)
and would probably kick himself if he missed a chance to bid for
this unique piece of historic artwork.

I also have the following books for sale - thumbnails available
upon request:

Bentley - Plants That Eat Animals

Basically a Kids book; however it is distinguished by the quality
of the colour and black and white line drawings by Colin Threadgall
some of which I feature in its thumbnail.

Lloyd - The Carnivorous Plants

Tuberous, Cormous and Bulbous Plants
by Kingsley Dixon of Kings Park Herbarium / Smoke Water fame and
John Pate well respected plant physiologist.

About one sixth of the book deals with CPs and Triggerplants
particularly Drosera erythorrhiza, Utricularia menziesii and
Stylidium petiolare. This book has been a "Sleeper" since it was
published in 1982 and only the most ardent Cpers seem to know of
its existence and one wonders why much of the book has not been
published verbatim in any of the worldwide CP Bulletins and
Journals. The CP information in this book would stand alone as a
complete chapter in any new CP publication. Why it was not used in
Peter D' Amato's The Savage Garden I just do not know.

The Savage Garden by Peter D' amato

I'm mainly offering this for sale because I was disappointed by the
lack of information embodied in the VFT and Cephalotus (only 6
pages!) chapters. It definitely was a breakthrough book in terms
of CP literature however it just doesn't go far enough, in my
opinion, (whether this was a compromise on the generous price I
don't know.) in most of the harder to grow genera. I don't know if
this is due to the fact that nobody has done much experimentation
or rather that new information about culture is being withheld for
the purposes of retaining profit margins? Certainly Colin Clayton,
now that he has joined up with De Groot in Holland, is having
phenomenal success; so someone out there knows something (a lot)
and isn't telling!

The Private Life of Plants - David Attenborough

The book follows the style of the popular Television series and has
half a section devoted to CPs seen in the series and over 14
complementary photographs - some of them full page renditions.

The World of Kew - Ronald King

This book follows in detail the burgeoning of the greatest
Botanical Garden(s) in the world, the exploits of its many entrepid
collectors to its use as a world-wide recourse today. The book
boasts a smorgasboard of historical information and photographs and
even contains a separate chapter devoted solely to CPs entitled
"The Trappers"; following purusal of the book you will learn just
how enthralled the landed gentry with their magnificent
"stovehouses" were with these and other exotic plants.

Media & Mixes for Container Grown Plants - A C Bunt

A C Bunt - do I have to say anything more? A world authority on
potting culture, this is THE book for anyone interested in growing
plants scientifically in containers. It even boasts a whole chapter
on peat. Even I was shocked to learn that even though America only
has peat reserves enough to last a few hundred years; Russia on the
otherhand has peat ,under permafrost, enough to last the next
400,000 years! I dare say its harvest will be economically driven
unless an alternative is found? I'm working on it.

Gordon Cheers 1

Although superceded by its larger cousin it still retains it charm
and in parts gives surprisingly detailed information, some of which
is still overlooked today.

For the following to save time and energy I shall just list the
titles and if you've interest please enquire:

Carnivorous Plants - Paul Temple; A Wisely handbook

Der sonderheft Palmengarten (Tierfangende Pflanzen)

Fleischfressende Planzen - Thomas Carow / Ruedi Furst (note this is
not the Ingo Nothhelfer version of the same name as seen on an
earlier Thumbnail)

Carnivorous Plants of Conecuh National Forest - US Dept of Ag

The Guide to Carnivorous Plants - British Society Colour Guide put
out in the late Eighties.

FLYTRAPS! - Plants That Bite Back; Martin Jenkins, ills David
Parkins

The most recent Australian Children's book and arguably the best
since Bentley. This little book is full colour and has some
amazing artwork but what impresses more is how the author (the
first yet I believe) has managed to encapsulate very detailed and
accurate information in such a true-to-life and rollicking good
storyline. The societies should buy this in bulk and send them out
to all the school libraries in Australia to recruit 'budding' new
members!

GROWING MEDIA for Ornamental Plants & Turf - Kevin Handreck & Neil
Black

A cut above the beginners level for those of you out there
interested in soils (inch & 1/4 thick)

Botanic Man - A Journey Through Evolution With David Bellamy

This book like the Attenborough one follows Mr Bellamy's popular
Botanic Man series ( which by the way I have on 3 volume video) -
it was the periodic table on page 25 of this book that lead me to
my work with Vanadium.

Soils in Our Environment - Raymond Miller / Roy Donahue

This is a top of the end soils book and I will only sell it to a
person who can prove their mettle and their interest in the study
of soils in general. It is in immaculate condition due to the
respect I have given it and the price I bought it at in February of
1997 - $120 Australian.

Adventitious Root Formation In Cuttings - Volume 2 in the Advances
in Plant Sciences series.
The same series as the "Serpentine and Its Vegetation" as seen on
the previous thumbnails.

What can I say - it has it all, even a complete self contained
chapter on Tissue Culture. The use of Putrescine as a rooting
compound was in itself quite entertaining. The ardent amongst you
will most benefit from the chapter devoted to "mist propagation".
The history alone about its development will keep you fascinated
for a few hours on a rainy day in YOUR Winter.

The Wonderful World of Mushrooms and other Fungi - Helen Pursey

Mainly a coffee-table book - but if your interested in large specky
photos of the most, dare I say, repugnant (Ha, Ha) looking fungi
then this is the book for you. I'll probably have to stitch the
thumbnails up from four, quarter-scans so there'll probably be a
blowout on the smegs; so I dare say this thumbnail will be sent on
its own and will take a few minutes of your valuable internet time
to download. You have been warned!

DAVION - |D4, C#4, F4, Ab4, F#4, A4, C5, C#5, B4, G#4, F4| >(*U*)<
                  |E4, Eb4, G4, Bb4, Ab4, B4, D5, Eb5, Bb4, F#4,
Eb4|