Growing Nepenthes northiana

From: John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 22:56:22 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:56:22 +0800
From: "John H. Phillips III" <phillips@library.ucsf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Growing Nepenthes northiana

    I have been growing one N. northiana for awhile now with great success.
 I bought as a small tissue cultured specimen from Andreas Wistuba, and
have been growing it under flourescent lights in a very humid, heated (70F
to 85F) terrarium with other lowland Nepenthes (ampullaria, rafflesiana, x
hookeriana, gracilis). The soil medium was inspired by information given
me by Phil Mann, and consists of WELL-washed coral gravel (my substitute
for limestone gravel) topped with one inch of a mixture of fine grade
orchid bark, and a commercial ground orchid bark/sand mixture sold here in
California for orchids. I water it from above every 1 to 2 weeks.
    It has been growing very well since I planted it in this arrangement,
but I give all the credit to Phil Mann and his very helpful advice. I hope
this helps.
    Happy Growing,
John Phillips