Genlisea Behavior / D.derbyensis & derbyensis x ordensis

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 1999 - 09:16:16 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:16:16 PDT
From: Sundew Sundew <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Genlisea Behavior / D.derbyensis & derbyensis x ordensis

Hi CP people,

I've got a Genlisea that came up from an uncinata seed packet which is most
likely G.filiformis. It put up a flower several months ago and it's been
quite some time since it self-pollinated and its 3 flowers fell off. The
seed pods are now nearing maturity but a lower bract is now putting out an
additional flower. Is this normal? I've never noticed this kind of
behavior before. Anyone else ever seen it?

My G.violacea "giant" sent up a scape earlier but the bracts sent out what
looked like starts of aerial traps rather than flower buds. Anyone see this
before??

Finally, I got seed of "D.derbyensis", "ordensis" and "derbyensis x
ordensis" which originally came from the ICPS seed bank. While ordensis
seems to be properly IDed, both derbyensis and derby x ordensis left me
wondering since I got what seemed like 2 different varieites from both the
species and hybrid seed packets. I have a feeling there was a mixup. Most
of the plants that grew from both packs were pretty hairy and widened and
then narrowed a bit near the petiole like ordensis (or falconeri) does. I
got only a couple plants from each of the packets that are slightly smaller
and have slightly narrower leaves and hairs only at the growth point but no
hair higher up the leaf. Anyone know if this one fits the description of
derbyensis? I dont think derby is in Lowrie's last book, is it?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

MAtt
NY