Ping answers

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:29:31 GMT+01:00
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ping answers

Dear John,

I'll try to answer your questions

>I have a small ping that is labelled P. cv. Sethos x gypsicola.
It just >started producing longer narrow leaves that are rounded on
the ends and >is about 1" across, and mostly seems to act like a P.
gypsicola. I have >no idea what species the "Sethos" is from.

P.X Sethos is a P.moranensis x ehlersiae hybrid which has been in
circulation for quite some time

>My question is what is the best way to multiply this plant? Can I
take >leaf cuttings or should I wait for flower production? And how
big should >it be before I take leaf cuttings?

You are best off taking leaf cuttings if you want identical copies
of your plant, but wait until late winter/early spring when you can
take cuttings from the winter rosette. You can use summer leaves
but usually there are fewer of these and the plants are less
tolerant to damage in their summer rosettes. Place cuttings on a
course mixture of perlite, vermiculite and sand and maintain
reasonable humidity. With some Pings you can obtain mature plants
from leaf cuttings in about a year. You may also produce seed if
your plant is capable of doing so, but given the parentage the
resultant plants are likely to show considerable variation.

>I also have P. hirtiflora from Albania that I would like to
>propagate. The plants are very small, under 1" across, and have
only a >few leaves at any one time, but otherwise seem to be growing
well. I'm >new to pings so any information on either of these
plants would be >appreciated.

First of all P.hirtiflora = P.crystallina ssp hirtiflora a pretty
little plant of the northeastern Mediterranean region. Do you know
which location in Albania your plants come from? This species is
quite small but expect them to get a bit bigger than 1inch in
diameter. Seed is the best way to propagate this species though you
will need a brush to pollinate the flowers. In cultivation in the
UK the plants appear able to flower at any time of the year though
are most prolific during the summer. I find this species grows best
in a peat/sand mixture together with some crushed tufa or limestone.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Loyd