top watering vft, vft/Sar compatability etc..

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@olywa.net)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 08:07:45 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:07:45 -0700
From: "Andrew Marshall" <andrewm@olywa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: top watering vft, vft/Sar compatability etc..

Hi folks,
    I use vft and many Drosera such as Dd. rotundifolia, anglica,
filiformis (both sp.) in place of Sphagnum moss as top dressing in the large
tubs in which I grow my Sarracenia. I also use the D. binata complex and D.
capensis complex but this last freeze wiped them out. THey all get the
same soil, and watered from a hose, top watering style. In fact, being out
doors all year until recently they got everything nature can throw at them
as well. All I got in return were (late at times but..) stronger and
healther plants. Also less pest problems. The Drosera seem to keep the
pests from the Sarracenia, except in early summer when even they can't cope
with all the aphids.
    Thanks for the description David of the seasonal variation in the
carolinas. I had always from the readin thought it was reversed. Winter
was the drier time. Not logical really considering it is wetter most
places, but still it was the impression I had from the reading of too many
books.
    Best wishes
    Andrew