On branching traps and weird catches

From: Chris Hind (chind@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 18:57:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:57:00 -0700
From: "Chris Hind" <chind@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: On branching traps and weird catches

>i've heard that gibberellic acid can be used to induce the growth of >new
>shoots on plants, has anyone tried this on the base of the traps on >venus
>flytraps to change the overall plant shape from the normal
>\/ formation to something that grows vertically like this
>\/ \/
>\/ \/
> \/ \
> \ /

Well, Ivan Snyder has accomplished this through leaning the flower against a
cold window which has caused VFT pups to grow suspended in air attached to
the flower stem. Also all-red / dentate VFT cultivars (ie. ed read's clone)
seem to display a tendency to do it more readily than other VFT clones that
I've seen although it could also be due to other variables.

As far as weird things my CP have caught I would have to put cigarette butts
at number one. We were having a reunion/xmas party and some of the guests
used pots as ashtrays for their cigarettes. I found several traps clenching
cigarette butts the next morning.