Re: Nepenthes feeding

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 03 1999 - 14:44:50 PDT

Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 17:44:50 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes feeding

<< Too much food! Your Nepenthes trap has indigestion. Try putting it on a
 1-cricket diet.
 - Carl

 On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Wilson wrote:

> The newest trap turned brown and dying way faster than the older traps
> after I fed it like 3 crickets. Is that normal?
>

> Wilson:)

Dear Wilson,

     I agree with Carl, a little at a time is better than too much all at
once. One other problem is feeding insects to a trap too soon after it
opens. Give it a week or too after fully opening to mature and harden off so
you don't damage the trap.

     I am more convinced then ever that pitcher feeding has merit. About two
months ago I pitcher fed every plant I have. While growth was not uniform
among the various species, some plants have shown a four-fold growth in leaf
size! I just froze another batch of crickets today and hope to feed the
plants later. (Don't forget to thaw first!)

Cliff