Nepenthes pitcher feeding

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 08:14:16 PDT

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 11:14:16 -0400
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes pitcher feeding

Hello William,
I'm glad your Nepenthes bicalcarata is doing well! I hope it is the one
you got from me this spring :). When the traps on Nep. bical. are young
I think the frozen cricket method Cliff Dodd uses, is the safest, and
from what I have seen in his vigorous collection of Neps., without a
doubt is beneficial to the plants. If the crickets are too large to be
completely submerged in the pitcher fluid, they can be divided for
several traps. I think less is best, when it comes to pitcher feeding,
for the longevity of the traps.
Take Care,
Steven Stewart