Re: Problems with Ibicella lutea

From: tierney wayne (hybrid_t@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 13:05:27 PDT

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:05:27 PDT
From: tierney wayne <hybrid_t@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Problems with Ibicella lutea

Hi Kowal,
what happened to your seedlings sounds like a condition called "damping off"
or "damp off." It can be caused by many different types of fungi. The best
thing to do is to throw the old soil away, sterilize any pots and tools you
are going to re-use, and _lower_ the humidity. Also try to improve the
drainage in your soil mix. I don't know if drenching the soil with
fungicide, or dusting the seeds, would help. I've never heard of damp off
being controlled chemically, but someone else out there may know more!
Good luck,
Tierney