Hot terrarrium lights and nepenthes humidity

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 07:55:44 PDT

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:55:44 -0600
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hot terrarrium lights and nepenthes humidity

Will wrote:

>I purchased two twin tube lightstrips that are three feet
>(90 cm) long. I wasn't paying attention when I bought them
>because they have ballasts that are contained in the
>housing. I forgot to take into consideration the heat that the
>ballasts would produce.

I seem to recall seeing some information, I think it was on the CP
Archive site (redtail.unm.edu), that gave directions for removing the
balast and mounting it oustide the reflector, thus reducing the heat
generated inside your terrarium. You'll want to be careful and do it
right so as not to cause a fire, though.

And John in Chicago wrote:

>I haven't tried a terrarium here in Chicago. All my plants just
>have water trays and windowsills. Everyone is happy, but the
>Nepenthes barely pitcher if at all.

I had the same problem with my Nepenthes till Jay Lechtman suggested
that I put a large clear plastic bag over the whole plant, with a
clothes hanger bent and stuck in the soil to provide support for the
bag. It's not pretty, but the plant has been pitchering like crazy
since then.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah