Roridula germination

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1999 - 14:47:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 22:47:31 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Roridula germination

Hi,

After many years of trying I have finally managed to germinate seed of
Roridula. I thought other members of this list might be interested in my
method.

I first soaked the seeds in giberellic acid solution (approx. 1g per
litre) for around four weeks. I am aware that as an organic acid
giberellic acid has a life far shorter than this but I was keen to
extend the soaking period in the hope that I would get germination in
the water after a few weeks. This is a method I use with success on
other difficult to germinate seed such as some temperate Pinguicula
seed. It appears to work by dissolving chemical inhibitors from the
seed.

After several weeks it became apparent that I was not going to get any
germination in the solution so I sowed the seed onto a grotty mixture
and barely covered the seed. I placed the seed into the greenhouse but
did not give it any additional heat or humidity. After another four
weeks there was still no sign of germination. I then transferred the pot
of seeds into a heated propagator which houses my lowland Nepenthes.
After another three weeks I finally got some germination! I have now
removed the seedlings back to the greenhouse and to date I have five
germinated seeds out of a total of ten seeds. There may be further seeds
to germinate yet.

Okay, so the method is a little hit and miss but it seems appropriate in
the absence of information on how to grow these plants. In all
likelihood the seeds would have germinated equally well with a short 24
hour soak in giberellic acid followed by an extended wait in the
greenhouse. Maybe when I have grown enough plants to maturity I will be
able to carry out some more precise experiments!

Which of course leads me to my question. Does anyone have any
information about growing these plants in cultivation. Specifically what
sort of soil is best; what are the plant's feeding requirements; and
what sort of winter care is needed (i.e. minimum temps etc.)?

Best regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
My Sarracenia plant list is now available at http://www.pwilson.demon.co.uk