Re: "Skeletal Revision of Nepenthes"

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 17 1999 - 21:02:58 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:02:58 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: "Skeletal Revision of Nepenthes"

<< From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
 To: cp list <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
 Cc: Martin Cheek <m.cheek@rbgkew.org.uk>

 Hey folks,

 If you are a Nepenthes fan, you really should consider buying a copy of
 the "Skeletal Revision of Nepenthes" by Jebb and Cheek. This originally
 appeared volume 42 of the journal "Blumea." In the past there has been
 some interest in how to obtain it, so I include it here (the description
 is not my own):

I would second Barry's recommendation, it is very worthwhile and clears up
several labeling problems with plants that have been kicking around for some
time. The only plants I might question (form a horticultural and visual
observation, not as a scientist or taxonomist) are N. "echinostoma" (or N.
mirabilis var. "echinostoma") being synonymized with N. mirabilis and N.
faizaliana not being given specific status. This is only a personal feeling
and has to do not only with the appearance of the plants but also their
growth habits in cultivation versus the species that they have been combined
with.

Never-the-less, this is a stellar work and should be a part of anyone's
library interested in CP in general and Nepenthes in particular!

Cliff