Re: How hot is too hot for CPs???

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 16:29:00 PDT

Date:    Sat, 24 Jul 99 19:29 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: How hot is too hot for CPs???

Dear Amy,

   Could it be that your _Drosera intermdia_ is going dormant?

> my D. intermedia. It is almost dead, and I'm really sad about (it.)
> (The) whole thing is turning black. Could this be from the
> heat?? Help!

   This sundew turns black when it goes dormant. It shrinks into
a tiny bud at the apical meristem (where the new leaves normally
grow from). It gives up it's roots, leaves and the stem is the
last to go as the bud takes in all the food it can. Often, this
bud is a brown or purplish color, not really green so it can be
easily passed over as being dead. If your plant is going dormant
(you should be able to find such a bud, now that you know what to
look for) it will not survive if it is up in the air on a stem,
it will need to be kept in contact the moist/wet soil, else it
will dry out.
   Or you could use the refridgerator method, but I can't really
give advise on this one.

Good luck,
Dave Evans